Check your Gutters for Leaks
Checking the gutters is something that every homeowner should do on a regular basis.
Keeping on top of the condition of the gutter system, and making needed repairs as soon as a problem is detected, is one of the best ways to keep your important investment protected. The best way to determine if your gutters are performing well is to watch them while a rainstorm is actually occurring. Go outside during the heavy rainfall and watch to see that no water is overflowing out the sides of the rain gutters. You should be able to immediately see trouble spots if water is coming over the top of the gutter and splashing down on the ground below. This can lead to serious erosion of foundations and house siding if not dealt with.
If you do notice a leak that needs attention before your next maintenance visit, you can purchase a sealant at a home improvement store specifically for gutters.
- To begin, clean gutter out and make sure it is dry before continuing.
- Most leaks occur at a joint and can be easily repaired.
- Use gutter caulk to fill small holes and seal minor leaks.
- Usually made with a butyl-rubber base, gutter caulk is resistant to the elements and flexes without losing its seal.
- Rubber tape or self-adhesive tape can also be used.
- The patches should be placed a few inches on either side of the leak area.
- Use a gutter patching kit for temporary repairs to gutters with larger minor damage.
Your Gutter Experts in Tallahassee, FL & Thomasville, GA
We solve all your water problems!
CALL NOW (850) 510-5175